1986 Ford Mustang SVO-ND Part Deux
So, here we are! As of the end of July 2006, I needed
a car to drive. At this point in time, that meant fixing a wrecked
96 Stratus we had, but that project was still a good month or
so from completion (not to mention a frame machine job away).
The only other obvious choice was to finish the SVO-ND. Many
parts were still missing, wiring was far from complete, no plumbing
was worked out, even the interior was not completely back together.
However, necessity being the driving force, I worked on the car
almost every night for about two weeks, and go it pretty much
together. Here was the result:
Yes, indeed, this looks like an engine that *could*
run. But does it? But, of course! :)
Click here to see it run!
Just as I say in the video, this was one of the first
times I started the car, and I didn't do any tuning to the engine
at all - I hadn't even set the timing! Once I got my instrumentation
up and going, I found the engine to be terribly lean (hence it's
reluctance to rev up) at ~22:1 AFR!!
Here's a video where I walk around the idling engine.
Since I initially got the engine running, I decided
that I did not like the harmonics I was seeing on the timing
belt on the driven side, between the intake cam and the intermediate
shaft. To remedy this, I went to a longer (and wider) timing
belt, and added the Volvo idler pulley back in. This eliminated
the harmonic, and gave more belt wrap to the intake cam pulley.
In this shot, you can see the angles of the belt on
the intermediate shaft. You will also notice the automatic tensioner
for the power steering pump belt. It is the stock tensioner and
pulley from an 88 up Turbo Coupe air conditioner compressor bracket.
I had a custom braket welded to an early style 2.3L power steering
pump bracket. It works flawlessly.
I still have lots of work to do. As of this writing,
I have driven the car about 25 miles, and the engine has about
three hours of total run time. I have yet to add the alternator
and A/C compressor, I have not finalized turbo to intercooler
plumbing, I have an oil leak (think it is the oil pan gasket,
and a myriad of smaller items. These will come in time. For now,
here's a few parting shots until I have more time. Thanks for
********** UPDATE 17 August 2006 *********
I've been driving the SVO to work. I still have no
alternator or A/C compressor, so short trips is all I can do.
I charge the battery at night, and I have had no dead battery
issues during the day. I was getting some mixing of oil and water
(oil in coolant, coolant in oil). I pulled the head a few nights
ago, and replaced the head gasket. The Felpro 1035 that was in
there was torqued once on the engine stand, and I later removed
the head to do some valve/piston clearancing. I re-used the gasket,
since I had not yet fired the engine (1035's are pricey, too).
I had no compression sealing issues, but it did leak at the rear
of the gasket. I replaced it with a cheapy Felpro 8993 gasket
for now. At the same time I replaced all 16 cam followers with
new Melling units. The application was for a '94 GM Quad4 engine.
Volkwagen VR6's also use the same 'bucket'. They work beautifully,
and the at idle (except for the exhaust) then engine sounds like
a sewing machine. This next week I plan to add in the alternator
(yay!) and A/C compressor, and plumb up the A/C. I will also
add some finished turbo plumbing, including putting the air filter
in the fender. I don't have it in there now, because I have not
reinstalled the inner fender splash shields, and the tire would
just fill the filter up with dirt. I have made a few revisions
to the engine calibration, and am getting closer on the driveability
all the time. I have had it up to a bit over 6000RPM and ~11psi.
It pulls great! I don't plan on revving it to over 7000, but
the boost needs to come up :) Right now, it's mainly about building
confidence in the timing belt arrangement. so far, so good. Losing
the belt will probably mean losing the intake valves, so I'm
a bit shy about beating on it just yet. Oil pressure is great
at 55psi at hot idle (yes, idle), and 65-75psi just going down
the road. Sticking your foot in it pushes it over 80 psi in a
heartbeat. That may sound like a lot, or even too much, but I'm
not exactly worried about robbing horsepower. I need to find
a quieter muffler as the car is just too loud. Donna describes
it like a single engine airplane making a low fly-by pass when
I come home. That's about how this engine sounds. Quite a bit
different than a regular 2.3 Lima. I will probably add a restrictive,
but quiet muffler. There is a QTP 3" electric cutout installed,
anytime I think I need some noise :)
Stay tuned for more updates!
2 3 4
5 6 7
Back to the Projects Page